Google

 

 

 

Daily Wisdom

 

 

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pope and Orthodox Christian pray in Sistine Chapel By Daniela Petroff

Pope and Orthodox Christian {*leader (*s) } pray in
Sistine Chapel

.
By Daniela Petroff
Associated Press Writer
.
VATICAN CITY (AP) — The spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians prayed with Pope Benedict XVI in the Sistine Chapel on Saturday and urged Catholics and Orthodox to work together to combat fundamentalism and to promote religious tolerance.
.
Benedict praised his guest, Patriarch Bartholomew I, on the occasion of an Orthodox leader's first service in the chapel, which is famous for its frescoes painted by Michelangelo.
.
Bartholomew's participation in the Vespers service and speech, in the chapel where popes are elected, is a "joyous experience of unity, perhaps not perfect, but true and deep," Benedict said.
.
The two men are eager to bridge a nearly millennium-long schism between the two churches, and see moral and social issues — including fundamentalism, religious intolerance, abortion, euthanasia and environmental degradation — as fertile ground for common initiatives.
.
Bartholomew was invited to address bishops from around the world attending a meeting at the Vatican this month about the importance of the Bible. Cardinals and bishops listened attentively as the patriarch spoke about the potential for common initiatives between the world's 250 million Orthodox and more than 1 billion Catholics.
.
The Orthodox leader called it more imperative than ever for both sides to provide a "unique perspective — beyond the social, political or economic — on the need to eradicate poverty, to provide balance in a global world, to combat fundamentalism or racism and to develop religious tolerance in a world of conflict."
.
Bartholomew described the invitation to address the pope and bishops in the Sistine Chapel as "at once humbling and inspiring."
.
The split between Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches centers on the primacy of the pope.
.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
.
. Article Link:
Pope and Orthodox Christian pray in Sistine Chapel
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-10-18-vatican_N.htm
.

* Note: My notation. The Pottstown Mercury article has 'leader', and I think it should maybe say 'leaders'.

.



.
The spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians, patriarch Bartholomew, left, and Pope Benedict XVI seen, after prayers, in the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican. During the historic first, Bartholomew urged Catholics and Orthodox to work together to combat fundamentalism and promote religious tolerance.
.
-----------------------
I read this article in the World/Obituaries section of my local paper "The Pottstown Mercury". It appeared in the Sunday, October 19, 2008/B7 edition.
http://www.pottsmerc.com/
.
I find the differences between these two Catholic denominations interesting. I kind of like the Orthodox Catholic view a bit better than the Roman Catholic view. My grandmother was an Orthodox Catholic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 

Every single person and every single creature that is alive today on this Earth

- August 24, 2008 til around the year 2880 will all be dead when January 1, 3000 happens.

What do I know:

- I don't even know exactly how many generations of people that is.

- I have absolutely no idea what the terrain will look like then,

and I know that most things occurring today,

and for quite awhile from now, will not matter

or even be remembered by those alive then.

Will they even have books?

What can happen around the span of 1000 years or so?

- The Roman Empire lasted approx. 851 years. [625BC-476AD]

- The Pilgrim exploring party went ashore at Plymouth in America [1620] approx. 388 years ago.

- The Nazi Party ruled about 12 years [1933-1945]

- The Titanic took 2 hours and 40 minutes for her to sink. [11:40pm:14th-2:20am:15th April 1912]

- There is active Christian discussion on this being the latter day

- the time being at hand

- that indicates that somewhere in this clock the prophecied tribulation could happen.

Would I be worthy?

- 10 out of 10 people do not leave this world alive.

- Somewhere in the time of this clock I'll be leaving here,

just like others I have known have already left.

- I know that spirits exist.

Do I know where those I have known are in spirit - no.

But I know that they are alive in the Lord's heart.

I know that He knows just where they are.

I hope and pray that they are ok.

In His heart I know and believe that they are.

- I believe in the promises of Christ, and know that I am ok.

What do you know?

 

Article of the Day

 

 

Note: I have certain items from Bravenet.com like Guestbook, free links, etc. I do not have control over the banner or pop-up advertisements that appear on the sites of these items. I am dismayed at some of the content of the advertisements, but with limited ministry funds it isn't always practical to upgrade in order to remove them. My plan is to only upgrade as needed.

 

 

. A pay-it-forward production.

This page was last modified:

 

 

Le Niche Ministries ... A Non-Denominational - Bible Promoting - Ministry